Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inked


People who know my daughter ask "Why an iris?" The people who know me ask "Why a tattoo?!?" Easy answer, "Because I said I would."

In January I participated in a leadership training at my church that was entitled "inked: deep enough to make it permanent". We talked about going deeper--beyond the surface--engaging in relationships with others that go deep enough to make them permanent. A lady at my table shared with us that she and her daughter had matching body art. I told her if my daughter ever asked me, I would.

That's the kind of relationship I want to have with my daughter--one that is deep enough that it is permanent. I don't mean biologically deep, I mean emotionally deep. Biologically we will always be related. I am part of her DNA. But I want more. I want our emotional bond to go beyond the surface. I want her to be able to share anything with me and know deep within her soul that I love her unconditionally.

That's the kind of relationship I know with my heavenly Father. I haven't always known it. It used to be only a surface relationship--my fault, not His. It wasn't until I trusted Him with all my junk that I learned deep down in my soul, that He loves me unconditionally.

He taught me how to love this way. The Father asked His son, Jesus, to let the nails go deep enough to make it permanent. Jesus agreed. They love me that much; they love you that much.

So, when my daughter asked, I said I would. I love her that much.

No comments: