Friday, April 18, 2008

A Stop At The Depot


Random conversations with random people. It's amazing the impact a few thoughts and words shared among strangers can produce. The topic was life. Common ground for uncommon people.

A common question of "What do you want to do with your life?" got us started. Indecision over this question can cause us to wander aimlessly...always going somewhere with no idea where we are going. Hopes and dreams being hoped and dreamed, but with no real plan on how we are going to get there.

Although chosen career paths varied, a common interest in the arts surfaced. We discovered that we all shared the experience of using our bodies as a canvas. Although our artists were different; they all practiced their art from the same location. Even discovered that they had a friend who shared my daughter's desire to sculpt metal into art. His work had greeted us as we entered the tattoo shop. Some would say it is a small world.

In the course of our conversation, my daughter confessed that she was intimidated to share her art. By displaying your art, you bare a part of your soul. I know what she means. That's how I feel when I share something I have written.

As we parted, one of the members of our group encouraged me to write. I confessed I wasn't sure I had anything to write about. He suggested I use the night's conversation as my material. So I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad you decided to put yourself out there. now i only need to follow your lead. thank you for challenging me always to be a better person mama.